Friday, October 25, 2013

Fundoshi? Only those that wear them will know.....


Okay, you all know I like my colored cheesecloth, but it is not always the most appropriate fabric to take photos of. When I think about and look at the hunter green photos, I think to myself, why not just go full on naked? Oh....maybe some day....but that is not what this blog is about. We stay very high-brow here, don’t we? (please insert a chuckle)

I know I’ve done some close-ups before, but for this shoot, I wanted to test the limits of my lights and camera. The first order of business was to get as much light as possible to avoid any focus issues. I wanted nice crisp shots. 
fundoshi
I also did some reading and adjusted my aperture down to it’s lowest setting. This opens it wider, letting more light into the camera. It also reduces the focal length, which was fine for me since I wanted close-ups. 
fundoshi
Overall, I like how these turned out. Sometimes, the focus is on the fabric, while other times, it is on my skin or hair. I like the contrasts of this within the same shoot. 
fundoshi

Fundoshi...Khaki colored and pale....perfect for showing details...

Fabric....cheesecloth - a favorite of mine....

Photography....Lots of light and a wide open aperture...

And now, the rest of the photos.....


fundoshi
fundoshi
fundoshi
you can see here that I store my fundoshi in a roll...this is to make sure there are no creases during a shoot
fundoshi
fundoshi
fundoshi
fundoshi
fundoshi
fundoshi
fundoshi
fundoshi
a little black and white fundoshi action
fundoshi
fundoshi
fundoshi
fundoshi
fundoshi
fundoshi
fundoshi


Next time on fundoshi, fabric and photos: Back to purple, but this time made of voile. I use some rather stark lighting in part one, then some bright light, close-ups and odd focus decisions in part two. 

4 comments:

  1. Very nice studies of the fabric. Great close up details. Love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shyc - I am really surprised at how some of these turned out considering I can't really see what I'm doing when the photo is actually taken……set timer, quickly pose, freeze, shutter goes off, try again……I think you know the drill!

      Delete
  2. When you make a cotton gauze or cheesecloth fundoshi, how do you prevent the lengthwise edges from fraying? I've tried gauze before and hate having to cut the edges to get rid of excess fabric strands, especially after washing each fundoshi strip in the washer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find that after about 3-4 washes, the fraying stabilizes and isn't a big issue after that. Normally, there are about 3 washes before I even wear one of my 'designed' fundoshi, so I don't notice fraying too much after that. I do have a collection of threads I've pulled during the process and one day will use them in a photo shoot. Another thing you could do if it really bugs you and you don't sew is to get a pair of pinking shears. This is a scissor that will cut with small triangular patterns instead of a straight line. This will stop most fabrics from fraying. If you go this route, I would suggest at least 2 washes, then iron the fundoshi before using the pinking shears. I hope this helps out!

      Delete