If you follow my tumblr account, you will have noticed a recent series of photos in underwear other than fundoshi. While taking those, I did put together a couple of series in fundoshi and here is the first one.
I only have about four or five fundoshi designs that I haven't already done a photo shoot of. Since there really isn't a need to design more (as you have seen over the years, I have quite a few fundoshi at my disposal), I don't know when any new shoots will happen after the last remaining are catalogued.
Here is a take on a design I've done on other colors and fabrics with a bleached stripe down the middle and sides.
For this one, instead of using painted strokes, I dabbed instead, giving it a star-like appearance.
While taking the photos, I normally have a mirror set up behind the camera so I can check on the poses, look, etc. I noticed how sheer this fabric is and tried to capture that in a few shots.
I know this seems a bit out of order, but I have been updating loosely based on the look of the rehash photos. The extras fundoshi pictures from this shoot only had enough for about 1.5 rehashes, so I just did one. Lazy me!!!!
Once again, I found the originals a bit soft and wanted to change that up a bit. I also purposefully made the originals light and airy. For this rehash, I wanted if I could put a little more mood onto them.
The first change came with just using a filter called Definition....and you can see above what it did.
Next up was using the Edge Sharpen filter and I also added a bit of a dark vignette around the edges of the photos. After that, I used a filter I haven't played with yet called Polarize and really liked what it did. For the final look below, I adjusted the contrast until I was pleased!
Shots from the original shoot can be found here and here. For this set of fundoshi extra photos, I wanted an 'almost' black and white look.
Since the focus on these is soft, I sharpened them up a bit by increasing the exposure, contrast, black point and a few other filter tweaks. Of course, you can see I used the edge sharpen filter again, making the individual hairs stand out.
To achieve the final look above, I converted to black and white, then backed off of it by about 25%. This left a slight hint of color....and I was done!
Originally seen here, here and here, this is the third set of fundoshi rehash photos from the surplus vault. For the first set, I did some subtle changes to make the photos pop out a bit more than the originals. The second rehash set took a more vibrant approach and I attempted to use the non-word neony to describe the look. Today, a bit of my favorite black and white take on the photos.
The first step was to play a bit with the exposure by increasing it. At the same time, I increased the black point because the I wanted a very stark black and white for the final result.
I then bumped up the contrast quite a bit and increased the saturation. For the black and white filter, I kept the reds at 100% and put the greens at 59% and the blues at 15%. This gave me the desired blow-out effect I wanted. The final step below was to use the edge sharpen filter since the original photos were inherently soft.