Saturday, October 5, 2013

Cheesecloth Fundoshi, oh how hard it is.....


...to take a photo of....what were you thinking!?!

I have stated before that I like colored cheesecloth for private fundoshi wearing. Here is another I found that can be described as ʻkhakiʻ in color.
 



















There are some issues that arise in trying to take photographs of fabric. The most aggravating is the fact you can get odd moire artifacts in the photos. This is caused by two different patterns competing with one another. When the weaves create a conflict, you will get an odd rainbow like pattern. Since cheesecloth is so sheer, taking picture of it against a fabric background is quite a challenge.
fundoshi

The other photographic challenge with this particular color is the fact it can change hue significantly, depending on the light source.  In some of the photos I have taken, it looks green, sometimes brown and other times a grayish color. It all depends on the lighting. 

fundoshi as art 



















Here is a photo of all the designs I created with this batch of cheesecloth. As you may have noticed, I always keep one untouched.
fundoshi as art

Fundoshi...10 inch wide fundoshi

Fabric....Khaki colored cheesecloth

Photography....Here we have the white backdrop with a bit of a stronger directional light being used than in the last shoot. I also tried to capture some movement in a couple of the shots.   

And now, the rest of the photos.....

fundoshi
fundoshi
fundoshi
fundoshi
fundoshi
fundoshi
fundoshi
fundoshi
fundoshi

Next time on fundoshi, fabric and photos: Part 2 of this shoot where I dance a bit of hula to keep the shoot interesting and play around with light intensity. I also do a bit of trickery in Aperture to create some effects. 

2 comments:

  1. I like the spot of lighting from the right in this series. esp love pic 5 from bottom up. The flow of the fabric as you tie, the interesting, almost distinct silhouette within the fabric is almost erotic yet not in your face. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind comments. I think I have been getting a little better at envisioning a photo, then actually having it work. As I continue this project, I do find myself rejecting less photos due to technical reasons than when I started. I do agree about the more subtle use of the silhouette in that shot. I think the mystery makes the photo a little more interesting than if it was more obvious.

      Delete