Saturday, January 25, 2014

White Fundoshi? Really???

Here is a strange aberration amongst my fundoshi….the ‘painted’ approach. This is on white gauze using calligraphy inks. I was hoping they would be permanent, as the colors are quite bright and lovely to behold.



















Unfortunately, they do not remain as vivid……



















The fundoshi is also noticeably stiffer than my other gauze fundoshi. This might be due to the ink, or the fact I never wear it as it is not one of my favorites. Since it is a bit stiff, wearing it under clothes doesn’t work too well, and lounging is not as comfortable as it should be. Perhaps I should continue to wash it to see if it softens up. 

For this shoot, I wanted a different vibe, so I did a few things a bit differently. First of all, I tied this fundoshi very high on my waist. I was looking at some pictures from festivals in Japan and noticed this approach, so I am trying it out. 
fundoshi rokushaku
I then decided to pose with a sweater on. I haven’t done a ‘stripping’ shoot in a while, so adding a bit of clothing gave me a bit of fun. It was also about 5am and was cold, so the sweater came in handy! 

For the backdrop, I actually created some shadows for interest using tape and a mirror. I put strips of tape against the mirror, then focussed a light to bounce from the mirror to the backdrop. I like how this turned out. 
fundoshi rokushaku
Since the fundoshi became muted during rinsing and washing, I went with that as a theme while processing the photos…..keeping it all a bit even in tone without high contrasts. 
fundoshi rokushaku

fundoshi…..muted color by using inks

fabric...100% cotton gauze

photography...a new approach with the white backdrop


And now….we finish the set……


fundoshi as art
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi as art
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi as art
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku



Next time on fundoshi, fabric and photos:   Ah….yes….Part Two from the burgundy series where the fundoshi comes off…..have you been dying with anticipation?

No comments:

Post a Comment