Friday, January 10, 2014

Burgundy Fundoshi - Part One

Once again, 100% cotton gauze is being highlighted. This time in a rich, deep burgundy. As you can see, the discharge solution changes this to a pink. I think it would go all the way to white if left on longer, but I didn’t want to take it that far.


















For the fundoshi design, I wanted to go with squares instead of circles. Once again, cookie cutters came in handy. After choosing an appropriate one to use, I would dip it into the solution, then stamp it onto the material. Once the discharge action started, I  filled in the blank space with a brush. Once I was complete, I noticed a few stray drips had found their way onto the fabric. Well, this just gave me the opportunity to make those drips part of the design and I deliberately added more in a rather random and haphazard fashion. I took a small brush, dipped it into the discharge solution and then splattered it over the fabric. I was channelling my inner Jackson Pollock!
fundoshi as art
The lighting for the shoot was kept simple. I set up a stronger light source from one side to create some slight shadows. I changed this for the close-up images so the focus would be crisp. For the backdrop, I started with the basic white muslin you have all seen before. I grabbed some thick plastic sheets that are used in construction to keep dust confined to specific areas. I built the sheet up to create texture that would reflect light. Some christmas lights were then put between the white muslin and the plastic. I was hoping the plastic would diffuse the lights a bit. 
fundoshi rokushaku
I think I will try this again with the black muslin to see what type of difference that would make.
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi...burgundy with a square pattern throughout

fabric...100% cotton gauze…..this feels so go in the slightly cooler temperatures of winter

photography...a new backdrop and a more natural approach to the lighting

And now....on to the rest of the group.....



fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi as art
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi as art
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi as art
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi as art


Next time on fundoshi, fabric and photos:  I'm mixing it up a bit. There is a Part 2 (yes, a 'take if off'...I’m so predictable), but I'm going to wait on that for a future post. Next time, a new design in black gauze.....


No comments:

Post a Comment