Tuesday, July 30, 2013

What to do with 5 lime green fundoshi?


The lime green fabric I purchased was quite wide and I was able to cut 5 fundoshi from it. The lavender gauze and dark green cheesecloth gave me 4 each.

What to do, what to do.......

I could give the extra away. I could figure out some other use for the material. I could try to make each one unique.

Let’s make each one unique. This follows my desire to have a more ‘hand made’ approach to objects around me. Equipped with some research, brushes, bleach and other chemicals, I tried my hand at discharge dyeing techniques. You can think of this as tie-dye in reverse. Instead of adding color to the material, you are subtracting it. 

original
enhanced

























While I was working away in a well ventillated atmosphere, I had a couple of ideas based on posts at Fundoshi4All - Adult. Ryan did a rather lovely photo-essay of a white fundoshi against bedsheets. You can find it here: Fundoshi Poem   Often, he also posts ‘Fundoshi in Art’ blogs. Putting the 2 together served as inspiration for a series I shot of my fundoshi against my new black backdrop. I tried to push the color and contrast where I could. 

fundoshi as art
For the next few blogs, I will alternate between the 3 different colors I have to show the different effects I got from the discharge dyeing.


Fundoshi....
Lime green, one original and the other freshly designed.

Fabric.... 
Crinkle gauze - again. My shipment from fabric.com just arrived, so there will be lots more colors and fabrics to go through in the near future. 

Photography....
Like the last shoot, I was going for a higher than normal contrast between the lights and the dark backdrop. It actually makes the green a little more neon than in reality....but I’m not a photo-journalist, so artistic license is okay! 

And now...the rest of the photos....
















 
 Next time on fundoshi, fabric and photos, we see what happens when lavender gauze and bleach come together and some tips on doing your very own discharge dyeing.


2 comments:

  1. i think you can start a little online store for self made Fundoshi. very interesting adventure with fundoshi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seem to be obsessed with this discharge technique. I just finished 8 in the past two days.

    fabric.com must love me!

    ReplyDelete