Thursday, July 25, 2013

My music room turns into a photography studio for fundoshi....


Sorry....had to get ‘fundoshi’ into the title for search engines.......

Well....lots has happened. I received the lighting kit and set it all up. At some point, I will need to do some reading on the ‘proper’ way to set this up, but for now, I will do some trial and error shoots and see what I come up with.


The set I purchased comes with a rig for the background drops, 3 backgrounds (black, white and chromakey green....I guess you can see that) and 3 lights, 2 with umbrellas. 

For the first shoot, I chose the black background, as I felt that would be the most forgiving. I am wearing a lavender fundoshi made from the crinkle gauze I showed in the last blog. 


For taking pictures of oneself, I think it is a must to have a steady camera. If your camera has the means to attach a tripod, pick one up. It will pay for itself in decreased aggravation. The timer on my camera has a few settings, so look in your manual for these as well. I generally use a setting that has an initial delay of 10 seconds, then takes 3 pictures, each at 2 second intervals. The 10 second initial delay gives me time to ‘pose’. The 2 seconds between each shot gives me a little time to ‘adjust’. Since I’m not really seeing what I am shooting, this time to make small adjustments is handy. It’s amazing how different a small twist or inches make with the lighting. 

Fundoshi....
This one is 14 inches wide and I tied it a little looser than the lime green from last time. It has a more relaxed feel to the twisting.

Fabric.... 
Lavender crinkle gauze....not much to say except it is nice and soft and I like the color against the black backdrop.

Photography....
No flash. Just a combination of the new lights and the lamps I’ve been using. 

Part one of the shoot is after the 'read more'. I’ll post part two in a couple of days.









 












3 comments:

  1. Hi Alan,
    I found your blog thru fundoshi4all site. Very impress at what you have here. Good job with fundoshi, the experimental pieces and your photo shoot. Especially like the effects in the last 2 pics here. Looking forward to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shy C - thanks for the comments. I was actually shocked that the lighting on those 2 shots turned out so well. Fortunately for you, I havenʻt posted my really bad mistakes! One reason to enjoy digital photography.....no expense except for time in learning....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. indeed agree that the best thing that came out of digital is we get instant result. I like taking snapshots. I don't really have an eye for photography. did have some basic knowledge back when i was studying. with the invention of handphones with camera. it makes taking pic alot easier. but definitely can't get effects like those above with nice dark background.

      Delete