Monday, December 30, 2013

I’m so Blue.....and so is my Fundoshi.....

This is the month of gauze, all from Island Breeze Gauze at fabric.com. We had the black and white at the beginning of the month, then moved on to the lovely orange and pink for Christmas. Today, we have a true blue. This fabric discharges to white, and the contrast is quite striking.




The different sized circles are courtesy of cookie cutters being used as stencils. Remember to grab anything you may have around you and experiment! 





You may notice in this shoot that the photos are a bit grainy. I could type away and let you know that was my photographic choice. I wanted to have a less slick look to these photos. I wanted to give it a faded 60’s sort of vibe. I wanted to make a comment about the futility of life and lament that even digital information has a tendency to decay over time....
fundoshi rokushaku

...I hit a button by mistake. 

When I do these shots of myself, I have to set the camera’s timer. Normally, I do this without actually looking at what I am doing. Since I am in front of the camera, I just reach around and hit the appropriate buttons (circular button array, right button 1 time, bottom button 3 times, shutter button). This gives me an initial delay of 10 seconds, then 3 shots. Unfortunately, early on in the shoot, I hit the left button in the array. This caused the iso selection to appear. The bottom button 3 times causes the iso to change to 400. My camera is especially bad at using 400 and greater. Doing so introduces digital noise into the photographs. The film version of this is grain. 

Even though this occurred, I think the overall concept of the shoot worked and was able to get some interesting photos. 
fundoshi rokushaku
I was working on using a bright backlight to create a silhouette with a dim front light so I wouldn’t just be a black shape. I didn’t do a lot of testing first, so to ensure I wasn’t taking a bunch of shots I would throw away, I actually did each photo two times....once with the lighting I set up, then again with the camera’s flash on. 

fundoshi:  blue with a frenetic circle pattern

fabric: cotton gauze...just can't seem to get enough...

photography: some mistakes in-camera, but I press on, learning from them....

An now....the rest of the shoot!


fundoshi as art
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi as art
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi as art
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi as art
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi as art
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku


Next time on fundoshi, fabric and photos: I’m so blue...part two.

No comments:

Post a Comment