Sunday, June 18, 2017

Plastic Fundoshi - An Experiment

For this shoot, I tried something a bit different. Fair warning....a single sheet of this plastic fundoshi is very, very, very, very revealing....there - you are warned.

I was experimenting with a backdrop for the underwear series I have been doing on my tumblr (fundoshi alan's space) and while cutting up strips of a thick plastic I sometimes use as a backdrop, I couldn't help but notice how similar the strips were to fundoshi.  The plastic is quite thick, so it isn't as manipulative as fabric, and some of the edges did cut into my delicate areas, so there is no way this will be a 'wearable' piece of clothing, but it was a fun experiment. Like the recent red batiste and orange gauze, there are also enough photos left over for a couple of 'rehash' manipulations, so if you like this experiment, there will be more to see in the future!


fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku
Above and to the right, the photo as it came out of the camera. I knew I wanted to get a dark, murky, midnight type of feel, so I started with a black backdrop with the strips of plastic hanging in front of it. I played with the exposure a bit by increasing the blacks (by heaps and bounds) and the brightness (just by a little).

fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku


Next up was to play with the contrast and curves which resulted in the photo to the left. The newer filters I rarely have used were applied next, polarize and intensify contrast. 

fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku


This left me the base photo I was looking for to then turn it into a black and white that had a dark mid-tone and highlighted the light hitting the plastic. While applying the look to the photos, I felt something subtle was missing, so I removed about 20% of the black and white filter, leaving just a hint of color. While this wasn't what I intended, I liked it better, so that is what you now see!

fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku
...more...



fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku

...next up on fundoshi fabric and photos - red batiste fundoshi, part 2….

1 comment: