Thursday, February 20, 2014

How To: Black Voile Fundoshi - A Simple Approach

Here is a very brief tutorial on how this design was created. 



fundoshi rokushaku
















First, a little photo of the work area….


fundsoshi making
make sure you protect your surface with plastic, wax paper...anything that will stop the bleach
You can see I have my brushes, cookie cutters, and various implements in the ready. You can also see the window being opened for ventilation. Since I am using bleach, this is very important and can’t be stressed enough.

It isn’t apparent, but the fabric here is damp. It was thoroughly saturated in water, then squeeze dried. This enables the bleach solution to penetrate the fibers and also creates a little bleed of the solution. You may think I lay the fabric onto the table, and just started to brush on the lines…..
fundsoshi making

That is the rather laborious way to do this….there are other ways to save on time and energy.  By gathering the material in an accordion-like manner, only three lines are needed!
fundsoshi making
fundsoshi makingfundsoshi making






fundsoshi making

fundsoshi making
I’ve talked before about the need to completely remove all bleach from the fabric, and this is my soaking bucket that I use…..okay, it is my bathroom waste can, but it can have a double-life, can’t it?
fundsoshi making
fundoshi rokushaku
There you go…..very simple….you can do it yourself! And when you do, send me those photos and I’ll start a page devoted to your designs. I already have a few, just need a few more to get the page started!
fundoshi rokushaku

And now....on to the rest of close-up photos....


fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku
fundoshi rokushaku

Next time on fundoshi, fabric and photos:  You know the black gauze from the last blog, well it finally comes off my body…… 

No comments:

Post a Comment